Landlords with tenants should contact their electrician for advice.
Prepaid sub meters are available from most electrical wholesalers and hardware stores. Ensure that the meter you buy is MID certified and STS compliant.
If the property has been wired correctly, with each section on its own circuit, installing a sub-meter is relatively straightforward and, as there is a wiring diagram packed in the box.
- Switch off the main circuit breaker.
- Locate & record the CT number on the back of the meter.
- Install the sub meter downstream of the main meter from the Energy Provider.
- Each sub-metered apartment needs its own circuit connected from a separate breaker on the main distribution board.
- Protect the sub meter with an RCD and overload protection.
- The sub meter will regulate power supply to the apartment’s sub-distribution board.
- The sub-distribution board powers the circuit in the apartment.
- Connect the live in and live out and neutral in and neutral out.
- Make sure connections are secure.
- Replace the anti-tamper cover.
- Secure the cover with a unique seal.
- Switch on your main circuit breaker.
- Do not open the anti-tamper cover once the power is restored.
- Enter the CT code and press ↵.